Dutch disappoint in draw against Romania
Monday 26 March 2007
Dutch coach Marco van Basten has kicked two players out of his squad after Holland's disappointing home 0-0 draw against Romania in Rotterdam on Saturday evening.
Defender Kew Jaliens and midfielder Denny Landzaat were sent home along with defender Tim de Cler, who played no role in the qualification game for European Championships next year. The team will play Slovenia away on Wednesday.
Holland still lead the group but had expected to increase their lead with a victory against second-placed Romania. Romania posed more of a threat than the home team which managed only two serious shots at goal in the ninety minutes.
Van Basten said the performance was 'not good'. But he added that as a player had been involved in such games. 'It happens some times. We shouldn't over dramatise it.'
Van Basten said the only player who had performed properly was the goalkeeper, Maarten Stekelenburg.
Captain Giovanni van Bronckhorst said, 'We were very poor. We dropped two important points. We now really have to win against Slovenia.'
He will give his captain's armband back to Edwin van der Sar, who returns to the national team from injury on Wednesday.
Citește și:
- 22:52 - Univeristatea Craiova, campioana României la fotbal, după 35 de ani de așteptare
- 23:16 - Arbitrul olandez Rob Dieperink, exclus de FIFA de la Cupa Mondială după o anchetă pentru agresiune sexuală în Londra
- 19:36 - Doliu în baschetul românesc: Dumitru Lecca, fost selecționer al României și antrenor al Stelei, a murit
- 15:15 - Show istoric la finala CM 2026: Madonna, Shakira și BTS vor urca pe scena stadionului MetLife din New Jersey
Urmărește știrile Realitatea.NET și pe Google News














